Passerby Chased a Robber Into a Dead-End-Street in Debrecen


At the trial held on November 19th, 2021, the Debrecen District Court pronounced a verdict on the case of the accused who tried to rob an elderly woman in Debrecen. The robber fled to a dead end street where he was captured by police.


The trial court found the defendant guilty of attempted robbery and sentenced him to 9 years and 6 months in prison and banned him from practicing public affairs for 10 years. The accused must pay the criminal costs of nearly six hundred thousand forints.

According to the facts of the indictment, the man had been drinking alcohol at a pub in Debrecen from 6 am on June 1st, 2019, from which he left several times and then returned. He drank more alcohol in the espresso bar around 12 o’clock and then left for Faraktár street. The man was on a vacant plot around 2:50 p.m. when he saw an elderly woman on the street who was getting off the bus at the Faraktár street stop. K. A. then decided to get the elderly victim’s bag with the values ​​in it. The man running towards the victim touched the old woman with obscene words, grabbing her bag over her shoulder. The victim shouted for help and wanted to avoid the man who grabbed the bag.

The defendant continuously insulted the 78-year-old woman and then grabbed the victim’s arm during the violent act as he grabbed the bag, causing both of them to fall to the ground. The crime was seen by nearby citizens rushing to the elderly woman to help her. The accused noticed this, so he fled the scene. One of the witnesses ran after the attacker, while contacting the police by phone and constantly stating which street they were on. The accused eventually turned into Lőrinc pap street, which is a dead-end-street. Seeing this, the man fell to the ground and was captured by police officers arriving at the scene. During the evidentiary proceedings, the court found that the facts of the case were the same as those of the indictment. During the proceedings, the man denied his act, claiming in one of his confessions that the old woman had attacked him, not the other way around.

The verdict was not final, with the prosecution holding three working days to file a statement of appeal, while the defendant and his defense counsel appealed the decision. The court upheld the defendant’s arrest until the final trial.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *