- 2 cups whole milk (or 2 cups half & half)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark, depending on taste preference)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (French bread works best)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture.
- Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
If you make the sauce to put on top of your bread pudding, adjust the brown sugar in the bread pudding recipe. Reduce the amount in the recipe to 1/3 cups dark or light brown sugar (the sauce has the other 1/3 cup in it, in the form of white or light brown sugar).
Bread Pudding Sauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar (light brown sugar can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- dash of salt
- Mix everything together and bring to a boil for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding.