- 1kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and halved
- knob of butter
- splash of milk
- 25g butter
- 25g flour
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 400ml milk
- 1 x pack fish pie mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock etc, weight around 320g-400g depending on pack size)
- 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard
- ½ a 25g pack or a small bunch chives, finely snipped
- handful frozen sweetcorn
- handful frozen petits pois
- handful grated cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180 fan/ gas mark 6. Put the potatoes in a saucepan and pour over enough water to cover them. Bring to the boil and then simmer until tender. When cooked, drain thoroughly and mash with a splash of milk and some butter. Season with ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, put the butter, flour and spring onions in another pan and heat gently until the butter has melted, stirring regularly. Cook for 1 -2 mins. Gradually whisk in the milk using a balloon whisk if you have one. Bring to the boil, stirring to avoid any lumps and sticking at the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes until thickened.
- Take off the heat and stir in the cheese (if using), fish, mustard, chives, sweetcorn and peas. Spoon into an ovenproof dish or 6- 8 ramekins.
- Spoon the potato on top and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Pop in the oven for 20 – 25 mins or until golden and bubbling at the edges. Alternatively, cover and freeze the pie or mini pies for another time.